Is Machu Picchu on your bucket list?
For July, our destination of the month is Peru – home to the famous Inca citadel. But did you know….
- It is believed to of been built in 1450AD – entirely by hand.
- Its name translates to “Old Peak/Mountain” from the Quechua Indian language.
- The compound contains over 100 flights of stairs and 150 buildings – including baths, temples, sanctuaries and homes.
- It sits over 7000ft (1.5 miles) above sea level.
- It was only known locally until a Yale Professor re-discovered the site in 1911.
- It was designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1983 and was named one of the New Seven Wonders of the World in 2007.
Due to it’s location and elevation, the site isn’t as easy to visit as some may originally think. We recommend pre-organised tours that include ground transportation, or specialist trekking tour itineraries.
We’re offering up to £50 Off Per Person all bookings for Peru during the month of July.
☎ Call your local branch for more information.